Thursday, November 13, 2008

a few (not so short) thoughts on food

Okay, okay, I suppose it's time I (Stephanie) put in a thought or two to make sure you realize that there is, in fact, someone else that helps make up the "Family Rezsnyak" as our blog title implies.

I have to admit that I'm a little nervous about coming back into the blogging scene. The last time I tried it, I had travel adventures to write about which made it easy because people that read just wanted to know where I was and what I was doing. I didn't have to come up with anything creative or crazy, I just had to tell my story. Don't get me wrong - I still have a story to tell, it's just that now the plot line involves pretty average things that Scott and I find interesting or most of the time way more funny than most people think, and the scenery doesn't change much. (Well, maybe I take that back about the scenery not changing much - anyone want to help us move this Saturday? wink, wink. nod, nod. just a joke - ask us about it if you don't get it!)

Anyway, like I said, I'm nervous. Be gentle with me.

So, Scott wrote a few days ago that he likes the soups I make. I have to come out first and foremost and give my awesome mom credit for teaching me how to make the best smelling and tasting vegetable beef soup I can possibly imagine. It was a total hit growing up. I think I would have eaten it every winter night if she would have fed it to us, but I also think she would have felt like a bad parent if she fed us the same exact meal for 4 months in a row, so we only ate it a few times a winter. Now that I'm all grown up with a hungry postman husband of my own to feed and my mom has passed the recipe on, you can be sure the smell of vegetable beef soup will be wafting through the halls of building 47 several times a month for the next 4 months!

And, like you heard about the other day, I just learned how to make homemade chicken noodle soup from scratch and holy cow, what a crazy thing that is. I didn't have any idea that such a disgusting mess could come out of a tiny little chicken. Blach. I sure am glad I bought those Pampered Chef kitchen shears to cut through the bones, though!

I forgot to take a picture of the before/during the process, but I sure wish I had. This is the finished product:




















I'm almost done. I just wanted to leave you with some more "food for thought!" This is a picture of the way bowls of ice cream typically look in the Rezsnyak home.

Can you guess whose is whose?


Stay tuned for super exciting entries on auctions and pajamas and other really, really interesting things...

1 comment:

MmBex said...

Haha! I am so glad you finally joined in, Stephanie!! And I didn't know you got the PC kitchen shears--did you get the chopper too? I use mine almost every night. I think the neighbors probably wonder what we are doing in here because it is SO LOUD!

So I guess you decided to go public with the big news that you are moving to Alaska? wink wink wink